Askham, St Peter
A small ‘pre-ecclesiological’ Gothic Revival church of 1832 by Sir Robert Smirke (the architect for nearby Lowther Castle), incorporating features from the earlier medieval church on this site.
The plan comprises a square south west tower and a continuous nave/chancel with a north transept and south aisle. The interior has a 4-bay arcade and a west nave gallery.
The fittings include a font dated 1661, a panelled pulpit, Commandment boards and C19th panelled oak pews, the ends carved with the Lowther Arms.
There are several small C19th white marble wall plaques. The transept was the burial chamber of the Sandford family of Askham Hall and has some re-set C17th and C18th wall plaques.
Soprano, common pipistrelles, and brown long-eared bats are all present but are safely confined to the tower and roof voids.
Although the church contains items of high significance/vulnerability, there is no evidence of harm at present.