Great Chishill, St Swithin
The church of St Swithin’s, Gt Chishill, is listed Grade 2*. Its origins are medieval.
The porch is imposing, having two storeys and a full height ceiling because of removal of the floor.
The magnificent nave roof dates from the 1400s and has fine traceried spandrels, king and queen posts.
The organ dates from the early eighteenth century and has a lovely rococo case.
The tower collapsed in 1892 and was rebuilt in 1897.
Little is known about Gt Chishill’s bat roosts, but the community finds cleaning the bat mess a burden.