This wonderful church was built during the first half of the 14th century and is of a piece for the period. It is the epitome of English gothic architecture just before the advent of The Black Death. Internally it is equally splendid, not only for the architecture but in particular for the fine stained glass windows. The first group were installed whilst the building was constructed, with more from the 16th century. The latter include designs derived from Holbein’s Whitehall Palace mural of Henry Vlll and his family. Also from this period comes the armorial glass from the Cave family who lives at Stanford Hall. Other notable features are the organ case made in 1630 and originally at Magdalen College Oxford. The fine monuments date from the 16th to 19th century to members of the Cave family by such sculptors as Maximilian Colt, Westmacott and John Gibson RA.
The church community struggled with the mess made by their resident bats, a roost of Natterer's bats. Additionally, the fine monuments suffered damage, as the picture shows.
In 2017, as a pilot for the project, a bat survey and management plan were commissioned. The church subsequently installed eaves boxes to contain the roost, enabling them to breed but preventing them from entering the church. After a trial year to accustom them to the boxes, but still enabling them to enter the church, the boxes were blocked. This has been very successful for the bats and the church community - the bats are using their new home, and the community finds cleaning far less of a burden.