The church of St Moran, Lamorran is a small, stone, cruciform church lying in a remote wooded location, within the Tregothnan estate beside a creek of the river Fal. The location is within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and the church is listed Grade II*.
Within the churchyard is a detached belfry, also listed Grade II*, and the shaft of a Grade II listed medieval cross which is scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
The church dates originally from the 13th century but was partly rebuilt in the 1840s for the Earl of Dartmouth. It was further restored in 1854 under the supervision of the architect William White who was an original and inventive church architect with strong Cornish connections.
White re-roofed the building, added a north transept, ‘improved’ some of the window tracery and refitted the interior.
As well as White’s furnishings, the interior contains a vigorously carved Norman font and a large and elaborate mid-seventeenth century slate monument to John Veryan.
The church hosts a colony of brown long-eared bats and has been closed since 2014 because of the difficulty of cleaning the heavy accumulation of droppings. Extensive spotting is visible on all the timber fittings and on the flagstone and tile floors.
A suite of bat surveys, including Light Touch Survey (LTS) and nocturnal surveys, carried out in 2019, also recorded non-breeding day roosts for small numbers of common pipistrelle and soprano pipistrelle bats. There is also evidence of greater horseshoe and possibly lesser horseshoe using the porch as a night roost.
The project is working with the church community, ecologist and church architect to separate the church community from the impacts of the bats, and hoping to re-open the church.