St Mary the Virgin sits high on the hilltop above Dalham village, looking down over fields, thatched cottages and the village windmill.
The tower was rebuilt in 1625 and had the date and an inscription in flint flushwork on the tower, and a dedication painted on the tower wall inside.
There are also several earlier wall paintings inside, including the seven deadly sins, each falling into the jaws of a devil, seven works of mercy and a doom over the chancel arch.
There is a peal of eight bells, one dating from 1425. Local bell ringers ring regularly and they also welcome visitors.
Bat numbers in the church have fallen over recent years, but there is still a major roost over the chancel arch.
The church are concerned about the mess and the amount of cleaning required to use the church. There may also be potential damage to some of the wall paintings.
The project are funding a complete set of surveys by The Ecology Consultancy which will allow us to plan mitigation works and reduce the impact on the church interior. We will be helping the church fundraise to carry out these works in spring 2022.
We will also be helping the church run events and bat walks to encourage visitors and helping to produce a guidebook.